Android Engineer Apply
Splitwise is looking for a principal Android engineer to join our mobile team. At Splitwise, you’ll work on a popular app that has been featured by Google, and launch brand-new features and integrations that make it easier for millions of people to share expenses.
The Splitwise Android app is written natively in Java, and communicates with our servers via a JSON API. Our app follows Material Design principles, and we work hard to include the latest Android features while also supporting older devices. As a company, we believe in writing code that is reliable and maintainable, and in testing that code to make sure we can depend on it for years to come.
This job is located in downtown Providence, RI and reports to our head of mobile engineering, Marshall. When building new features, you'll collaborate closely with the API team and product team, and you'll also make important product decisions yourself. We're a small team of fewer than 10 people – you can make a huge difference.
What you'll actually do at Splitwise:
- Deploy updates to Google Play at least once a month
- Implement new features for Android P and beyond
- Work with the team to plan internal API updates and new features
- Support users directly and fix bugs that you find
- Write tests for new updates to ensure that they're reliable
Things about you:
- You have at least 1-2 years of relevant professional experience.
- You're experienced with Java/Kotlin, Android Studio, and the general Android ecosystem.
- You write clean, understandable code that can be tested and maintained in the future.
- You like to make sure you fully understand a problem before you sit down and start writing actual code.
- You enjoy working in a team, and treat others with empathy and respect.
- When something goes wrong, you love to figure out what broke.
- You have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent
- You're willing to come join us at our office in Providence, RI. (If you're not from around here, we can help you move!)
- Experiences that are valued but not required: previous work on a large-scale consumer mobile app, experience with client/server syncing on mobile
Things you’ll learn:
- How to make product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How to add new, cutting-edge Android features to an app
- How to release major app updates while minimizing bugs and maintaining backwards compatibility
- How to debug an issue across thousands of different Android devices
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
We are an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the real world. We hope that team includes you!
Splitwise serves millions of users of all different ages and backgrounds in 170+ countries, and has raised money from leading investors in San Francisco, Boston, and New York. Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Fully-paid health care (50% for dependents)
- 6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Three paid team meals each week
- Dental and vision plans available
- Flexible hours
- Relocation benefits
Interested? Contact us at email@example.com.