Software Engineer, Android
Providence, Boston, New York, Remote • Senior levels
Splitwise is looking for an Android engineer to join our mobile team. At Splitwise, you’ll work on a popular app used by millions of users that has been featured by Google, and launch brand-new features and integrations that make it easier for millions of people to share costs.
The Splitwise Android app has recently been modernized, and all new code is being written in Kotlin (some parts of the app are still written in Java). We work hard to include the latest Android features and platform design considerations, while also supporting older devices popular around the world. As a company, we believe in writing code that is reliable and maintainable.
This job reports to our head of mobile engineering, Marshall. When building new features, you'll collaborate closely with the API team and product team, and you'll also make important product decisions yourself. We're a small team – you can make a huge difference.
What you'll actually do at Splitwise:
- Deploy updates to Google Play at least once a month
- Implement new features and modernize old ones
- Work with the server and product teams to plan internal API updates and new features
- Support users directly and fix bugs that you find
- Write tests for new updates to ensure that they're reliable
Things about you:
- You're experienced with Kotlin/Java, Android Studio, and the general Android ecosystem.
- You write clean, understandable code that can be tested and maintained in the future.
- You like to make sure you fully understand a problem before you sit down and start writing actual code.
- You enjoy working in a team, and treat others with empathy and respect.
- When something goes wrong, you love to figure out what broke.
- You have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, a closely related field, or equivalent
- Experiences that are valued but not required: experience maintaining an Android application with a substantial user base, fintech industry experience, experience with client/server syncing on mobile
Things you’ll learn:
- How to make product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How to add cutting-edge Android features to a popular native app
- How to release major app updates while minimizing bugs and maintaining backwards compatibility
- How to debug an issue across thousands of different Android devices
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
Please attach your resume and include concise answers (1-4 sentences) to the following questions:
Splitwise is based in Providence, and is hiring locally at our Providence HQ and in Greater Boston / Cambridge MA (we are happy to relocate interested candidates). We also support remote candidates that are based in the USA and eligible to work here. Which of these are you interested in?
What interests you about working for Splitwise specifically?
This position will require you to work in Kotlin and Java. Some of the technical components of the interview will be in one of these languages. Do you have a preference for which language is used?
Briefly tell us about an interesting technical problem that you’ve faced recently in programming. Were you able to create a solution? If so, how and what was the impact of solving it? If not, what did you do instead and what happened next?
Splitwise is an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the diversity of customers that we serve, and we hope that team includes you! Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Top-tier health care (covered 100% for you, 50% for dependents)
- 4-6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave (either parent, or adoption)
- 401k with match
- Flexible hours (generally 10am-5pm ET)
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Paid team meals when in office
- Relocation benefits
- Dental and vision plans available
Interested? Contact us at email@example.com.