Splitwise is looking for a Finance expert to join our growing Business team. We’re seeking a hands-on leader to help us launch public-facing features and the internal systems that make them strong, auditable, and efficient. You’ll help design the ledgers and funds flows that support key platform features and collaborate with the product, growth, and engineering teams to ensure our strategy and partnerships make good financial sense.
Tens of millions of people around the world use Splitwise to track shared expenses, pay each other back, and stress less about money. Your work will expand on this impact and help our small start-up grow into a formidable business with the financial stability to take big swings.
This role reports to Splitwise’s CEO, Jon Bittner. We're currently a small team – in fact, you’d be the first dedicated Finance hire – so this is an opportunity to make a big impact.
What you’ll do at Splitwise:
- Work with product, growth, and engineering to measure and improve COGS, CAC, and drive LTV
- Work with product and engineering teams to create technical systems that advance key accounting and finance goals and secure the flow-of-funds
- Lead Splitwise through financial audits with the support of outside bookkeeping and expert resources
- Work with business operations and product teams to support contract negotiation (vendors and partners)
- Support the executive team as they prepare for board meetings and investor presentations
- As our first Finance hire, shape the future of the finance discipline/team at Splitwise
- You enjoy working in a team, and treat others with empathy and respect
- You have excellent accounting skills and fundamentals and can generate analyses that others can understand and that can be updated/extended in the future
- You communicate well, both in person and in writing, about financial and accounting issues
- You have experience supporting an organization through a financial audit
- You are knowledgeable about/experienced with GAAP accounting and can work with internal and external resources to prepare financials according to GAAP
- When a number looks wrong, you love to get to the bottom of it
- You have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, related degree or equivalent
- Bonus points for: Fintech and/or payments experience, experience with accounting for consumer mobile applications and/or subscription software companies, experience with Stripe and App Store Payments, experience with fintech and accounting software APIs, Experience with multi-state taxation including sales and payroll tax, programming or SQL experience, experience at a venture-backed tech company
What you'll learn:
- How to build consumer fintech products that are novel and delightful as well as compliant, auditable, and valuable
- How to evaluate tradeoffs and deploy capital wisely as Splitwise continues on our path to hundreds of millions of customers
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes your resume and concise answers to the following questions:
- Splitwise is based in Providence, and is hiring locally at our Providence HQ, in major US cities like New York, Los Angeles, and the SF Bay Area, as well as remotely around the country (we are happy to relocate interested candidates). Which location are you interested in, or are you interested in working remotely?
- What interests you about working for Splitwise specifically?
Splitwise is an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the diversity of customers that we serve, and we hope that team includes you! Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Top-tier health care (covered 100% for you, 50% for dependents)
- 4-6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave (either parent, or adoption)
- 401k with match
- Flexible hours (generally 10am-5pm ET)
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Paid team meals when in office
- Relocation benefits
- Dental and vision plans available
Interested? Contact us at email@example.com.