Splitwise is looking to add a UI Designer to our Product Team who can help us design delightful software experiences, primarily for our mobile apps on iPhone and Android. We’re interested in hiring designers with strong visual design skills who want to apply their talent to user interfaces for our popular mobile apps. We’re open to a wide range of experience levels, and prior experience with mobile design, design of consumer finance apps, animations or illustrations, and/or UX design will be very helpful, but not required.
Keeping track of money with other people can be confusing and stressful, so Splitwise emphasizes design that is clear, simple, and easy to understand. We also love to delight our users with little surprises, whether it’s a burst of confetti after you pay back a friend or a meowing kitten hidden on our settings page. We strive to keep Splitwise a modern, accessible, reliable, and fun utility for people of all ages and technology backgrounds.
As designer, you’ll be responsible for working with the Product Team to create the best possible Splitwise user experience and keeping our apps unified with a consistent design language. You’ll work closely with engineers, product managers and other designers to build exciting new features, and to refine and improve the existing Splitwise apps.
This job reports to our cofounder Ryan. The improvements that you make to Splitwise’s UI and UX will be felt by millions of people around the world. We’re a small team and we’re excited to have you join us!
What you’ll actually do at Splitwise:
- Collaborate directly with engineers, product managers, and other designers to build new features and workflows and add delight to our mobile apps
- Iterate to improve your designs based on feedback from users, engineers, and more
- Communicate your design ideas to your teammates verbally and in writing
- Implement a consistent visual language for Splitwise across various platforms
- Be involved in the design of new features from the earliest planning stages to the final release
- Keep Splitwise on the cutting edge of design patterns on iOS, Android, and web
Things about you:
- You enjoy working in a team, and treat others with empathy and respect
- You’re passionate about designing modern user-interfaces, and can take high-level UX workflows to pixel-perfect mockups.
- You have strong collaboration skills. You’re excited to work with software engineers and product managers to integrate user research, technical feedback, and business goals into the design process.
- You care about usability and accessibility. When designing something, you aim to make it as clear and understandable as possible.
- You have experience with Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch, or similar tools, and can use them to create high-fidelity mockups to communicate your visual ideas to software engineers
- Experiences that are valued but not required: familiarity with the unique design language of both iOS and Android, interaction design (animations, etc), experience doing design for popular mobile apps, designing for multilingual/international audiences, knowledge of HTML/CSS, icon design, familiarity with a tech design workflow and/or GitHub, a formal degree.
Things you’ll learn:
- How to make a financial product feel clear, easy, and safe even for users who are afraid of math
- How to design communication tools and features that solve awkward social problems
- How to make iterative product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How to include consideration for international support and accessibility in your designs
- How to collaborate with others and communicate your ideas clearly with a variety of peers
- A strong understanding of what makes a design “easy” or “hard” to implement from a technical standpoint
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
Splitwise is an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the diversity of customers that we serve, and we hope that team includes you! Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Top-tier health care (covered 100% for you, 50% for dependents)
- 4-6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave (either parent, or adoption)
- 401k with match
- Flexible hours (generally 10am-5pm ET)
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Paid team meals when in office
- Relocation benefits
- Dental and vision plans available
Interested? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Providence, Boston • All levels Designer, UI/UX
Providence, Boston Business Operations
Providence, Boston • All levels Software Engineer, Backend
Providence, Boston, Remote • All levels Software Engineer, Android
Providence, Boston • All levels Software Engineer, iOS
Providence, Boston • All levels