Product Designer (UI/UX) Apply
Splitwise is looking for its first full-time Designer! Keeping track of money with other people can be confusing and stressful, so Splitwise emphasizes design that is clear, simple, and easy to understand. We also love to delight our users with little surprises, whether it’s a burst of confetti after you pay back a friend or a meowing kitten hidden on our settings page. We strive to keep Splitwise a modern, accessible, reliable, and fun utility for people of all ages and technology backgrounds.
As designer, you’ll be responsible for crafting the best possible Splitwise user experience and keeping our apps unified with a consistent design language. You’ll work closely with engineers and product managers to build exciting new features, and to refine and improve the existing Splitwise apps.
This job reports to co-founder Ryan. The improvements that you make to Splitwise’s UI and UX will be felt by millions of people around the world. We’re a small team of about 10 people, and we’re excited to have you join us!
What you'll actually do at Splitwise:
- Collaborate directly with engineers, product managers, business teammates, and the CEO to build new features and workflows and to improve old ones
- Iterate to improve your designs based on feedback from users, engineers, and more
- Communicate your design ideas to your teammates verbally and in writing
- Implement a consistent visual language for Splitwise across various platforms
- Be involved in the design of new features from the earliest planning stages to the final release
- Keep Splitwise on the cutting edge of design patterns on iOS, Android, and web
Things about you:
- You’re passionate about designing modern mobile applications, from high-level UX workflows to pixel-perfect mockups.
- You have strong collaboration skills. You’re excited to work with software engineers and product managers to integrate user research, technical feedback, and business goals into the design process.
- You care about usability. When designing something, you aim to make it as clear and understandable as possible.
- You have experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch, or similar tools, and can use them to create wireframes and high-fidelity mockups to communicate your visual ideas
- You're willing to come join us at our office in Providence, RI. (If you're not from around here, we can help you move!)
- Experiences that are valued but not required: familiarity with the unique design language of both iOS and Android, interaction design (animations, etc), experience doing design for popular mobile apps, designing for multilingual/international audiences, knowledge of HTML/CSS, icon design, familiarity with a tech design workflow and/or GitHub, a formal degree.
Things you’ll learn:
- How to make a financial product feel clear, easy, and safe even for users who are afraid of math
- How to design communication tools and features that solve awkward social problems
- How to make iterative product design decisions through feedback and user testing
- How to include consideration for international support and accessibility in your designs
- How to collaborate with others and communicate your ideas clearly with a variety of peers
- A strong understanding of what makes a design “easy” or “hard” to implement from a technical standpoint
- How a small, transparent start-up operates
We are an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the real world. We hope that team includes you!
Splitwise serves millions of users of all different ages and backgrounds in 170+ countries, and has raised money from leading investors in San Francisco, Boston, and New York. Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Fully-paid health care (50% for dependents)
- 6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Three paid team meals each week
- Dental and vision plans available
- Flexible hours
- Relocation benefits
Interested? Contact us at email@example.com.